The REACH Regulation
On June 1st 2007, the 1907/2006/EC Regulation for the Registration, Evaluation, Authorisation and Restriction of Chemicals (REACH) entered into force. As an EU regulation, REACH applies uniformly and immediately in all member states.
The regulation was issued to streamline and improve the previously effective regulatory framework for chemicals in the EU. REACH replaces approximately forty individual acts with a single regulation.
REACH imposes greater responsibility on the industry for the control of the risks that chemicals can present for the health and the environment. Not only industrial chemicals are concerned by REACH but also any substances applied in everyday life. Therefore, the significance of REACH goes far beyond the ambit of the chemical industry and concerns all companies in supply chains of the producing industry.
BEKO and REACH
The BEKO Group supplies a multitude of customers in a wide variety of industrial sectors and nations. While implementing the REACH Regulation, our first and foremost aim is to provide these customers with the present product portfolio without restrictions also in the future. For this purpose, we have evaluated the entire field of questions addressed to us and have developed a REACH catalogue of answers. This catalogue replies to all questions regularly asked about REACH and, in addition, offers a general description of the BEKO Group's dealing with REACH.
10 aspects regarding REACH
- We are aware of the obligations resulting from the REACH Regulation. We have undertaken the corresponding organisational measures, amongst others the nomination of a responsible for REACH and successive schooling of our employees dealing with this subject-matter.
- Our company domicile lies inside of the European Union. The nomination of an exclusive representative in the sense of Article 8 of the REACH Regulation is therefore not required.
- We mainly supply products to our customers. As far as the obligation to register for substances which are released from products is concerned, there is no special need for action for the moment. We do not produce monomers or polymers; we exclusively purchase them from pre-suppliers to process them into components of our products.
- A few individual products are substances or preparations or articles releasing substances or preparations when applied properly. We give highest priority to these with regard to REACH. In this respect, the following products are concerned:
- Splitting agent FL 02
- Splitting agent FL 11
- Splitting agent FL 21
- Splitting agent FL 22
- Splitting agent FL 23
- Activated carbon CLEARPOINT V
- Adsorbent aluminium oxide DRYPOINT AC
- Adsorbent molecular sieve DRYPOINT AC & AC HP
- Catalysing agent BEKOKAT
- Adsorbent desiccant beads DRYPOINT AC & AC HP
- Quick drying cement 0,5 l (Durapipe)
- MEK Cleaning agent 0,5 l (Durapipe)
- Tangit cleaning agent (Henkel)
- Tangit cleaning tissues (Henkel)
- Tangit FP 625 Fire-protection tape (Henkel)
- Tangit FP 635 Fire-protection tape (Henkel)
- Tangit FP 709 Fire-protection tape (Henkel)
- Tangit FP 711 Fire-protection tape (Henkel)
- Tangit FP 500 Fire-protection foam (Henkel)
- Our products usually are not processed in the products of our customers but are used as means of production or operating materials. Normally, the REACH conformity of our customers' products does not depend on the REACH conformity of our products. During the REACH prioritisation of our customers, the BEKO products will therefore mostly be given medium (but no high) priority.
- Only in individual cases will BEKO products be processed in the products of our customers, in deviation from no. 5. These cases will require a special agreement regarding the implementation of the REACH regulation between the customers concerned and our REACH contact person.
- We intend to register and pre-register the substances contained in our products ourselves or have them registered or pre-registered by our pre-suppliers. We are aware of the respective time limits.
- To establish the communication chain required for REACH, we will approach our suppliers according to a priority list we have developed. Special contact forms developed by our customers for the communication within our supply chain cannot be taken into consideration in terms of the uniformity and manageability of the communication with our suppliers.
- We assume that our customers use our products in accordance with our instructions. In terms of the substance registration, identified uses can only be taken into account within this scope. Other applications can only be included in the consideration for registration as far as they are explicitly communicated by our customers. Under REACH, this duty of communication is assigned to the downstream users.
- At present, we assume that our articles do not contain particularly alarming substances which could be incorporated in Annex XIV of the REACH regulation. In this respect, detailed statements will only be possible when the relevant substances are specified by the ECHA. Based on today's state of knowledge, our products do not depend on such substances in their functionality; the use of these substances would not even correspond to our corporate philosophy. Should our products, contrary to expectations, contain such substances, we intend to substitute them with harmless substances in co-operation with the respective supplier and in accordance with the targets of the REACH Regulation. We are aware of the information duties regarding the safe use and risk management measures incumbent on us in these cases.
Please contact us in the event that the above statements do not include all aspects pertaining to your company. Regarding the REACH subject-matter, the following contact person of the BEKO Group is at your disposal:
BEKO TECHNOLOGIES GMBH
Dr. Arndt Böker – Quality Management
Im Taubental 7
D-41468 Neuss, Germany
Phone +49 2131 988-430
Fax: +49 2131 988-919
The information on this page does not represent a mandatory self-obligation and exclusively expresses the current intentions of BEKO TECHNOLOGIES GMBH with regard to the implementation of the REACH Regulation.